Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Dinosaur Kale Quinoa Orange Salad

Today I had another full day at Aveda.  I [again] did not wake up in time to make myself anything more than a cold press coffee but luckily they had a wonderful breakfast for me.  Unfortunately we missed lunch due to having our actual event off site from the institute.  By the time I got home around 5pm I was [again] starving.  I immediately made plans to research a quinoa recipe that used dinosaur kale from Junko's Garden as that is the bulk and most time sensitive ingredients in my refrigerator.  I found a recipe and was about to head out when a friend of mine posted on facebook that they were in need of borrowing a computer.  He lives close by so I offered mine.  After some mild miscommunication as to where exactly we were to meet he came over and utilized my internet and software programs.  After some resume guidance and my grumbling stomach we eventually ventured off to the co-op for my two ingredients I needed for this wonderful mouth watering simple recipe.



As it turns out there was a parade happening down the street.  Unfortunately I do not have any saved footage of this event due to extreme snap chatting that was taking place, we roamed the strip and quite enjoyed ourselves I must say. (no candy though)

I spent about $8 total at the co-op [i did splurge on a cliff bar and an energy drink kind of sorry this time].  All in all I got a handful of roasted almonds, a lil ginger and a cucumber.  The recipe I had found had called for tangerines but they were no where to be found at the co-op.  Since I had one orange left in my fridge at home I figured that would suffice.

The original recipe can be found here.  I improvised with the below recipe.

Ingredients:
1 bunch of dinosaur kale
1 1/2 cups of cooked quinoa
1/4 cup feta [left over in my fridge]
1/2 a lil thing of fresh grated ginger [WARNING: DO NOT GET THIS IN YOUR EYE AS IT IS EXTREMELY PAINFUL, PROBABLY WORSE THAN LEMON JUICE I THINK MAYBE]
1 minced garlic clove
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp agave stuff? [idk i found some in my cupboard but I was planning on just adding sugar to taste]
1 orange
olive oil
roasted almonds


Directions:

Add olive oil to quinoa to moisten.
Cut stems off kale and massage with olive oil and sea salt to taste, add to quinoa.
Peal orange and section - saving a few pieces for juice for the sauce. Half and add to quinoa mixture.

Sauce:
Combine soy sauce, ginger, garlic, agave or sugar, and juice from remaining pieces of the orange.

Drizzle over quinoa mixture. Add feta and top with roasted almonds.

I actually just realized I forgot to add the almonds to mine.  This made about two "Kyndra servings", so I've saved the rest for lunch tomorrow with a side of sliced cucumbers and ranch dressing. YUM.  Also prepped some cucumber water and cold press coffee for the morning.

I don't work until 2pm tomorrow so I'm gonna ska-daddle and try and have some fun I guess.




No comments:

Post a Comment