Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I'm back! - Scramble Prep

Apologies for disappearing for so long.  Everything sort of fell off when Minneapolis had a great storm and our power went out (mine was only out for about 24 hours, but a lot of folks didn't have power for days).  Then I got pretty wrapped up in the business of summer and honestly wasn't cooking that much. Last week I went to Australia for a last minute modeling gig which was pretty amazing even though I was only there for three days (but gone for nearly a week because of the travel time).  I finally have a couple days off and I'm ready to get back in the swing of things. My roommate moved out so I'm trying to rebuild the kitchen and make time to nest and decorate.

With having such a busy lifestyle and just loving sleep, getting up an hour early to make a decent breakfast just isn't going to happen.  No matter how much I tell myself I will get up early, chances are I'll snooze until I only have 15 minutes before I have to leave.  If I'm prepared I can grab something and eat it on the way or when I get to work.  If I'm not stocked I usually just writhe in hunger pains until I'm allotted a lunch break,  which I obviously didn't pack because who has time for that?  I'm too cheap to spend more than $5 on lunch at the mall, so I usually succumb to a protein bar and a pepperoni pizza taquito from the convenience store.  This keeps my food craving under control but then I have the protein bar keep me full until I can get home and fix myself something decent to eat.  Which doesn't always happen. SO I've come up with a few things that help me save time and keep me eating throughout the day.

Pre-Mix a scramble:
The only reason I never make this in the morning is because it's a lot of work.  Cutting all the veggies, washing the dishes, I would HAVE to get up early.  I recently figured out that you can do that shit the night before.  GENIUS! Basically I just put in whatever I had in my fridge so substitute or eliminate as you wish.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
milk
salt & pepper
hot sauce (you can always add more)
kale - stemmed and chopped
green onions - chopped
red onion - chopped
cilantro - diced
tomatoes - chopped
cheese - shredded or shaved
peppers - chopped


Directions:
Crack eggs in tupperware, whisk in milk, hot sauce, salt & pepper.
Add veggies and cheese.
Close tupperware. Shake to mix. Refrigerate.
In the morning you can heat up the pan and dump this baby in there while you're getting ready.  The other day when it was done cooking in the pan, I wrapped it in a tortilla and put it in the toaster oven while I finished getting ready.  Then just grabbed it when I was heading out the door. 

I also did this with red potato hash browns!




2 comments:

  1. GREAT IDEA! You can also make egg + veggie muffins on Sunday and they'll last at least 4-5 days if you're not a leftover weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I saw that recipe and that you tried it out! It's been on my mind, I just usually can't afford to put all my groceries in one meal or should I say, throw all my eggs in one basket. Also, my schedule doesn't always align with payday. A lot of the time when I do actually have time and energy to cook or bake, I'm broke and out of groceries. I spend a lot of time figuring out how to throw something together that doesn't suck and I don't need to buy a lot of things for. Which is the point of this blog. :)

      Delete