Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Default Meal

I spent about $40 at the coop the other day, wasn't able to make my med salad until yesterday, but it was well worth the wait.  I know what you're thinking, "FOURTY DOLLARS??!" I also had to stock up on some basic groceries as all I had at home was 3 dozen eggs, one tortilla and some granola.  I also was too lazy to run up to the regular grocery store to get my "Clean Fifteen" items, so I just bought them there and sacrificed a few bucks for convenience and splurged on a couple beverages that at the time I couldn't imagine living without.  I also intend on these groceries lasting me for the next 2 weeks. I also forgot to grab my receipt so I'll recite what I can remember I purchased.

1 loaf of bread
1/2 lb of coffee
1 quart of milk
4 boxes of annie's mac and cheese (they were one sale 4 for $5)
high ball grapefruit energy water
alô water
1 package of boneless chicken tenders (about $4.50)
handful of spinach
green onions
cilantro
red onion
2 roma tomatos
cucumber
1 small container of feta cheese (about 8oz)
lemon
1 cup quinoa from the bulk section


I have a couple staple meals that I know I will love that are inexpensive.  One of these is a quinoa Mediterranean Salad with lemon vinaigrette. (see bolded items above)  You can pretty much guarantee that I will eat this every day all summer without complaints or exhausting this recipe.  I originally happened upon this recipe through a friend a couple years ago and we made it with cous cous.  I started using quinoa because the protein in quinoa is complete protein, which means it abundantly contains the essential amino acids our bodies cannot make on their own.  This helps me not have a hypoglycemic breakdown at work and keeps me full longer.  Although feel free to experiment with other grains or make as an antipasti as it's pretty tasty either way.

Start making your quinoa.
Rinse it unless you want it to taste horrible. Put some olive oil in a pan and lightly toast the quinoa to remove some of the moisture, then add three cups of water, bring to a boil, turn heat to low, cover it and let it hang out for like 15 minutes.

While you're waiting for your quinoa start cutting up your veggies; cilantro, green onion, red onion, tomato, cucumber.  (I usually only use half a cucumber and we'll talk about the other half later).  Use as much cilantro as you want, don't worry about using the whole bunch, I've decided that's basically impossible.  If you have a cilantro plant, congratulations.

In a separate bowl, you can make some lemon vinaigrette via my hodge podge modified recipe I use.  Cut the lemon in half and juice into bowl using a spoon or whatever method works best for you to get all the juice out.  I usually have to filter out some seeds, too.  Add some olive oil, like one, two, three or four dollops idk.  It'll still be pretty lemony so don't worry about that.  You can also zest some lemon peal in there and add some pepper. Add it to the veggies or add the veggies to it and wash your bowl, knife and cutting board because you're all done with those.  Grab a big bowl for your quinoa and combine veggies and feta cheese and voila.

**No need to add salt due to the feta being so salty on it's own.  Add pepper to taste

I grabbed some chicken tenders too to prepare and add in or serve on the side although it's not necessary because it's so fucking delicious anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment